Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Heritage Flight

Thanks to a friend at church today my boys, my father and I had the opportunity to attend the Capital City Airshow in Sacramento. I haven't been to an air show since I was a kid and it was incredible to re-live the experience through the eyes of a father with my sons. If you have never been to an air show before I highly recommend it.

The most impressive part of the event was the finale showcasing the F-22 Raptor performing a heritage flight with the P-38 Lighting, a WWII-era American fighter. The sight of past and present flying together was truly a sublime experience. I found myself awestruck with just how far we have advanced aviation in just over 60 years. A feeling of pride washed over me. Pride over what the American ingenuity has been able to accomplish. Pride that the United States Air Force has a weapon this powerful in its arsenal. Pride that we live in a country where I can freely attend an event like this with my father and sons.

A feeling of fear also washed over me. Fear for the people that will experience the destruction this aircraft will bring. Fear that we may shortly need to use this and other weapons. Worse still, fear that we are losing the freedom that so many soldiers have paid for with their lives. As we were walking out towards the parking lot I turned to my dad and said, "I sure hope they're on our side." Seeing the F-22 performing its maneuvers is impressive but also fearful seeing that much power on display. I hope and pray our leaders make good decisions and stay true to the principles this country was founded on, the shining city on a hill.

Watching man-made power, I found myself thinking about the power of God. The psalmist puts it like this.
The LORD merely spoke, and the heavens were created. He breathed the word, and all the stars were born. -- Psalm 33:6 
In figuration language the author shows the mighty and immense power of the Creator. Just a breath from him caused the birth of countless stars and the creation of innumerable nuclear reactions. If you haven't seen Louie Giglio's sermon "How Great Is Our God" you have to check it out. Here's a link to the full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtpTk2ENq7o If you are ever in doubt of God's power just remember he is the star-breather.

God is all-powerful but he is all-good. With him you never have to worry about his motives or that he will abandon you. He is the very definition of all that is good and lovely. He has promised he will never leave you. He has nothing but your best in mind. Can you trust him? Will you trust him? Even when his ways are painful and terrifying? When your circumstances and your thoughts are screaming to you that he has left you can you find that flicker of light? That smallest hint of a whisper inside where he says, "I'm still here." Be encouraged. If rather than trust itself all you muster is a desire to trust him that's enough for him to fan that small spark into a roaring flame. His powerful love is enough to change everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment